During the primary years, it is very important for the child to make a transition from self-discovery to harnessing their own intelligence, talents and skills.
The Experiential Studio for Grades 1 – 4 facilitates :
- Method of Science: A method of research in which a problem is identified, relevant data are gathered, a hypothesis is formulated from the gaps identified and is then empirically tested
- Mathematical Learning: Understanding Mathematics as a part of the world we live in and using it in day to day life
- Critical Thinking: Ability to think about various aspects of life, working of the world and questioning assumptions
- Arts Integrated with Disciplines: Integration of Arts with Science, Mathematics, Design, Literature, Technology and Engineering
- Knowledge Construction: Ability to construct their own knowledge with contexts to their lived experience and new exposures
How do we facilitate The Experiential Studio?
The child is engaged in constructing their own knowledge via art forms and artefacts. The facilitator is engaged in complicated conversations with the child to understand the context of knowledge construction.
Children are curious and the teacher facilitates children in investigation of questions. The child and the facilitators engage in the complicated conversation through a portfolio of the child’s work.
Facilitators provide gradual scaffolding with regulation of adult influences within each child’s learning space. Students take more responsibility for the inquiry and self directed learning.
Represents the difference between the student’s capacity to solve independently or with assistance. Varies based on culture, experience & innate ability. Facilitator provides continuous feedback to help learner reach expert performance.
Children are supported in exploring answers to questions through critical thinking via open-ended inquiries where their prior knowledge is valued allowing them to construct personal meaning and expertise.